NATO@70 in Portugal – Countering hybrid threats with hybrid containment: NATO’s mission for the 21st century is a project supported by NATO’s Public Diplomacy Division in the framework of the NATO@70 targeted communications effort. The overall aim of the project is to celebrate seven decades of peace and prosperity, but also to address current and future security challenges.
Universidade Portucalense Infante D. Henrique (UPT) and the Portuguese Institute for Legal Research (IJP) are leading the organization of an international event that aims to bring together students and young leaders from NATO allies and PfP countries. With a proposed date of 11-13APR2019, the event encompasses an international conference, a simulation game and a community outreach event.
You will have the opportunity to join participants of more than 15 different nationalities from universities, namely the University of Leiden, the Université Libre de Bruxelles, the Institute of international Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Mariupol State University, Carlos III University of Madrid and San Diego State University.
Together with fellow students of different academic backgrounds you’ll have the opportunity to take part in an innovative and challenging simulation game focusing on the important topic of hybrid threats directed at:
- Understanding NATO’s role in securing allies and partners against hybrid threats;
- Understanding the relevance of the concepts of misinformation, disinformation and mal-information;
- Exercising decision-making processes;
- Exercising joint military and non-military responses;
Exercising cooperation with other actors.
- Your participation is 100% free of charge (registration fees are waived).
- All meals at the venue including coffee breaks are 100% free of charge.
- Proof of participation in a form of a letter will be provided 100% free of charge.
- Should you require a certificate provided by the University an administrative charge will be applied.
- Participants are free to choose their mode of travel and their accommodation arrangements.
- Your placement in the event is only guaranteed/locked if you present proof of travel arrangements via e-mail to email@example.com until 02ARP2019 23:59 GMT. After that your place will be given away to the next person in the waiting list.
- Due to the special nature of the simulation game the experts responsible for organizing it require time in advance to build the simulation game teams.
- The event starts at 09am 11ARP2019 and ends 03pm 13APR2019 so participants need to arrive on the 10thAPR2019.
- Financial support for participants:
- The organizers allocated a limited part of the budget to help foreign students with travel and accommodation costs.
- Only point-to-point travel may be considered.
- Only three nights of accommodation may be considered.
- Due to the high number of foreign participants that registered, the budget allocation for travel and accommodation support is now almost 100% committed.
- Therefore, the organization can no longer guarantee the payment of financial support at this moment.
- However, confirmations are still pending until 02ARP2019 23:59 GMT.
- We encourage you to submit your proof of travel as soon as possible.
1. If there are no-shows by registered participants benefiting from financial support their amount will be reallocated to other participants on a “first come first served” basis according to: (1) the e-mail date and time stamps presenting proof of travel to Porto; and (2) the distance criteria table.
- Reimbursements will be processed on the first day of the event.
- A participation certificate will be granted if you attend 100% of the event.